Walking out of the town-walls, we have magic views of the Val d'Orcia with vineyards, olive groves and woods. From everywhere we can see Montalcino that watches the passage of the traveller. A comfort for the spirit is also the approach to the Abbey of Sant'Antimo that appears far away in its beauty.
Podernovi Museo del Brunello – Castelnuovo dell’Abate – La Velona – Sant’Angelo in Colle - Poggio alle Mura – Pieve di Santa Restituta
FATTORIA DEI BARBI - LOC. PODERNOVI - BRUNELLO MUSEUM
This museum, already open to the public but continually growing, aims to promote the characteristics of the community, local cuisine, wines, tourism, apiculture: everything that was and is Montalcino. Photographs, documents, objects and recreated environments all reflect Montalcino, Brunello and the local community which, over the course of the years, has always known how to maintain its identity.
Sito web: www.museodelbrunello.it
Perched on one of the hills that surround the abbey is Castelnuovo dell’Abate, originally subject to the dominion of Sant’Antimo. Today it is a charming hamlet with narrow streets and old stone houses, two lovely palazzos and a church consecrated to Saints Philip and James. A short distance from the village there are some quarries, now abandoned, from which the onyx used for the abbey was extracted.
Approximately two kilometers from Castelnuovo, a diversion on the right side of the road that leads towards Monte Amiata brings us to la Velona, an imposing fortalice in an extraordinary position overlooking the Orcia Valley, made up of two tall buildings with rectangular plan, one of which restored in “ antique style “, joined by smaller structures.
SANT’ANGELO IN COLLE
In 1265 it was designated boundary castle by the Commune of Siena and in the 14 century it was seat of a vicar and a fortified farm belonging to the Santa Maria della Scala. Today it is a quiet village in a splendid panoramic position in Brunello country. There is a massive stone tower at the entrance, and the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, with two beautiful portals and remains of 14 and 15 century frescoes, is located in the main square .
POGGIO ALLE MURA
Back on the main road we continue towards Poggio alle Mura, fortified from the 14 century and dominion of the Placidis until the 18 century it is found at the end of a long, cypress-lined street. Today it is a large castle with quadrangular plan, made up of several bodies built around an arcaded courtyard, with a high tower and battlemented boundary walls.
There is an interesting glass museum inside
PIEVE DI SANTA RESTITUTA
PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT RESTITUTA
Built on an old early Christian parish church. The current structure dates back to the XII century when the Bishop of Arezzo, Mauro, reconsacrated it (1134-1140) proven by the inscription on the church facade. From an architectural point of view, the parish church definitely shows aspects of early Middle-Aged design.